This recipe makes great use of your summer squash.
Summer Squash Casserole
Yield 4 servings
This recipe is adapted from The Southern Junior League Cookbook: The Best Recipes from the Junior Leagues of the American South.
- 3 cups cubed summer squash
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Saute squash in a buttered pan until tender. Set aside.
- Mix the sour cream, melted butter, cheese, salt, and paprika in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Whisk in the egg yolk and the chopped chives. Add the squash.
- Transfer to a buttered casserole dish, dot with soft butter, grated cheese, and the dry bread crumbs.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until bubbly and browned on top, about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.